|2021 Costs at a Glance
|Part A premium
||Most people don’t pay a monthly premium for Part A (sometimes called “premium-free Part A”). If you buy Part A, you’ll pay up to $471 each month in 2021. If you paid Medicare taxes for less than 30 quarters, the standard Part A premium is $471 in 2021. If you paid Medicare taxes for 30-39 quarters, the standard Part A premium is $259 in 2021.
|Part A hospital and inpatient deductible
|| You pay:
- $1,484 deductible for each benefit period
- Days 1-60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period
- Days 61-90: $371 coinsurance per day of each benefit period
- Days 91 and beyond: $742 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime)
- Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs
|Part B premium
||Most people pay $148.50 each month (or higher depending on your income).
|Part B deductible and coinsurance
||$203. After your deductible is met, you typically pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for most doctor services (including most doctor services while you’re a hospital inpatient), outpatient therapy, and durable medical equipment.
|Part C premium
||Part C monthly premium varies by plan
|Part D premium
||The Part D monthly premium varies by plan (higher-income consumers may pay more)